Installing a cool home WLAN
dead simple firewall program. have to open ports for Unifi controller, and it’s easy as
ufw enable 443
to open port 443 for traffic.
setting a static ip for my machine
- ubuntu network manager (meh)
- (buggy GUI) things would be selected sometimes, sometimes not clickable for unknown reasons
- where the conf file is located but not really how to edit it
running unifi controller in the cloud
- to setup and configure the AP gotta run a java service
- ran local to get things going and then transferred to a Linode box
- don’t need to use it all that often, but it’s convenient to just have available and bookmarked
My place is not very big and 1 AP is just enough. But I wanted to mount it in a central spot, and had to run about 60ft of CAT5 cable around the perimeter of 2 rooms. Mounted on the ceiling in the living room it looks pretty sweet.